Sunday 4 October 2015

Shetland Wool Week 2015 - Day 7

It was another busy day on Friday.  In the morning I taught another group of lovely ladies "Fair Isle Knitting".  The task was to start knitting a phone cover or pouch from a choice of patterns.





 
Friday afternoon was really the first chance I have had to go out and about, I went to visit the girls at Ninian - they have such a beautiful range of yarn colours in the studio.
 


Finished garments in the shop:

 
 While I was there I knitted a coiple of rows on the Muckle Gravit (great big scarf), which was started by Shetland Arts and Crafts Association over ten years ago.
 
 
Empty shelves at Jamieson's of Shetland shows evidence that Lerwick has been invaded by knitters.
 

Fair Isle garments for sale at Jamieson's of Shetland:


Over at Vaila Fine Art  Shetland Organics have once again put on a beautiful display of a variety of work made mainly be local makers.

There I met  Alicja Tyburska  from Poland, she has been based at Vaila Fine Art during Wool Week and is demonstrating weaving traditional Polish doubleweave cloth on an antique loom.  Examples of double weave cloth can be seen behind Alicja.


 
The gallery is filled with examples of items using Shetland Organic wool:


 
 
Wool Week wouldn't be wool week without a trip to Jamieson and Smith - I dropped in on my way home, the shop was really busy and Deborah Gray had just finished a class on drop spindle techniques.  My camera card was full so I had to resort to taking photos with the iPad, so the quality is not very good.
 


 
It is now Sunday night as I write this and its all over - I am feeling quite emotional, very tired and looking forward to getting back to normal but also sad as I will really miss it.
 
I will be back tomorrow with photos of the last two days!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. ive enjoyed every photo donna, thank you so much for sharing. i can only imagine how tired and elated you must be, so much looking forward and then its over till next year! congratulations again on being the patron for this years wool week, how incredibly special. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Donna, I've just found your blog while searching for Shetland mittens patterns. Lovely to read your posts and find myself in one of them! Warm regards from Poland :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you are being assured 24/7 Support Services and life long replacement then do not rethink when you Buy facebook reviews from a service agency.

    ReplyDelete